What is the Lifespan of Double Glazed Windows? Exploring Durability
When UK homeowners invest in double glazed windows, it’s only natural to wonder how long these windows will last. In this article, we explore the durability and lifespan of double glazed windows.
- Average Lifespan of Double Glazed Windows
Double glazed windows are designed to be durable and long-lasting. While the exact lifespan can depend on a range of factors, on average, you can expect double glazed windows to last between 20 and 35 years. Some high-quality models may even last up to 40 years with proper care and maintenance.
- Factors Affecting Lifespan
Several factors can impact the lifespan of your double glazed windows:
- Quality of Installation: A professional, high-quality installation is essential for ensuring the longevity of your windows. Poor installation can lead to problems like draughts and leaks, which can reduce the lifespan of the windows.
- Window Frame Material: The material of the window frames can also influence how long your windows last. uPVC frames tend to last up to 20 years, while aluminium or wooden frames can last significantly longer with appropriate maintenance.
- Quality of the Glazing: Not all double glazing is created equal. High-quality glazing will typically last longer and perform better than cheaper, lower quality options.
- Maintenance and Care
Regular maintenance can significantly extend the lifespan of double glazed windows. This includes cleaning the windows regularly, checking for and sealing any gaps or draughts, and ensuring that the moving parts are lubricated and functioning correctly.
- When to Replace Double Glazed Windows
There are several signs that your double glazed windows may need replacing. These include difficulty opening or closing the windows, the appearance of condensation between the panes, noticeable draughts, or visible damage to the window frames.
In conclusion, while double glazed windows are a significant investment, their long lifespan combined with their energy-saving benefits can make them a cost-effective choice for UK homeowners. By understanding the factors that contribute to their durability, you can ensure that you get the most out of your double glazed windows.
Where to find us
Bespoke Composite Doors Ltd, Showroom: 75-79 Tonge Moor Rd, Bolton, BL2 2DL